I did not solve this problem, and since I had not gotten any responses,
decided to just give up and keep all the templates in the same folder.

Your suggested methodology confuses me somewhat...  an <html:base /> tag
is supposed to set the references of all files called from a particular
JSP to the local root of this JSP.  The references to the other TILES
are all stored in the tiles-defs.xml file, not in the JSP.  Further,
regardless of whether I use a BASE tag or not, I get this error.  If the
parser cannot actually find the file (assuming it is confused about the
local vs absolute paths) then it just doesn't load the tile at all.  In
my situation, it does seem to locate the file, but it just throws an
error anyway.  It would appear that your initial TILE and all embedded
TILEs need to be located in the same directory.   Is anyone else
actually implementing what I have tried to do?

Specifically:

<definition name=".list" path="/WEB-INF/admin/list.jsp">
 <put name="body"   value="" />
</definition>

<definition name="category.list" extends=".list">
 <put name="body"   value="/WEB-INF/admin/pages/categorylist.jsp" />
</definition>

extending a definition by tossing in a file in a deeper directory...

thanks for any further assistance

Cameron