Hi,

I'm new to Struts and to getr used to it I developped an application which
has to log in a user by checking records in a database.
After reading more posts about user authentication I've got puzzled and now
I try to clarify this thing.

I identified the following ways to do the authentication:
1. session variable on user login, check the variable on each action
2. filter authentication
3. security contraints = container authentication (?)
4. using a tag in each jsp for the validation

Are there any other methods?

As for what method should one use I think depends on many factors like the
complexity of the application, habits, etc but the first method is not for
use in applications with many Actions as you'll need to add session
validation code in each action = more difficult to develop and maintain.
Any other things one should know before considering one of this methods?

Thanks,
Cezar

---