On this same note, if I were then calling a dispatch method on that action class to load/pre-populate the page, I would also need to register yet another actionMapping that would use the same action class for the "type" parameter, but would just call the load method instead one of the submission methods, correct?

Basically, if I'm breaking this down correctly, if someone is using Dispatch/LookupDispatch Action and the struts validator, they would need 1 ActionMapping to call in order to load the page (and it's dispatch method on the action class) as well as 1 ActionMapping for each of the "submission possibilities" they had on their JSP... i.e., if you wanted to validate 2 subsets of fields on the page, you'd have an actionmapping for each of them.

Isn't the struts-config going to get quite cluttered and harder to follow if this is the pattern used?

Is there a different approach that is recommended vs. this one?

From: "thomas Sontheimer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: RE : RE : Validator and Dispatch Actions
Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2003 17:04:35 +0200

you don't need 2 action classes.
you may declare 2 actions in the struts-config.xml file using the same
class.
but you have to declare 2 formset tags in the validation.xml file,
setting up each form name with the action path instead of the form name.

in the first formset tag you define validation rules for all the fields
and in the second you do it only for a part of them.

using the first action will validate all the fields and using the second
will validate only a part of them.

thomas