The front-runners on my list is Castor and JDOM.  Any (related) suggestions
are greatly appreciated.

I've used both of these, though not JDOM enough to comment on it. My favorite XML tool right now is Digester. To me, it has a smaller development footprint than Castor and gives you at least the same XML parsing capability.

I used both Castor and Digester to parse configuration files. To use Castor I had to write a schema and the castor "client" code, which was pretty big and I had to put up with the objects it generated. For Digester I wrote a RuleSet class, some value objects and a very small amount of "client" code. I didn't write (but should've written) a DTD.

Greg

DISCLAIMER:
confidential and privileged information.  Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or
distribution is prohibited.  If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the
sender by reply email and destroy all copies of the original message and attachments.