You should be get a 400 'Bad Request' when
RequestProcess.processMapping() cannot
find an action mapping for the requested path:

<snip>
 response.sendError(HttpServletResponse.SC_BAD_REQUEST, // <=== Line 684
                           getInternal().getMessage
                           ("processInvalid", path));
</snip>

It appears that the response is being written to after
it has already been committed which would cause the IllegalStateException.

I've seen this behavior using the SSL extension module.

robert