Since the file upload is part of the request that the browser sends to the server, I don't think the server can start the response until the request is finished, and even then it is also probably browser-dependent whether the browser would do anything with a response to a request that it was still sending.

However I have seen what you are specifying. At eBay when you upload pictures. I think you get a pop-up window that flashes 'wait' or something. So I suspect you would have to use a javascript solution, and possibly via a second browser window. Check out how eBay do it. But don't tell them you're looking, they'll probably try to patent it. ;)

Adam