The "action" attribute of the html:link tag and the "path" attribute of the action element should be identical.

Note that the value of the "paramName" attribute ("viewcontactlist" in your example) is not a string literal, but rather the name of a bean in some scope (page, request, session, or application) which will be looked up and converted to a string as the value of the parameter. In your case, since you specify paramScope="request", the tag will specifically call "request.getAttribute("viewcontactlist")" to get the value.

Joe