In an html page, is there a way to reference a nested form variable without
using array subscripts?

In the web page the client sees, it gets the below:

<input type="text" name="order.program" value="108">

I want a pop-up calendar window button next to it that populates that field
with the selected date.  When I switched from "program" to a nested field
named "order.program", it broke.  The "program" can be referenced by
"formName.program" but the nested one causes javascript errors trying to
reference it as "fornName.order.program".   I don't want to use
fornName.elements[XXX] since any changes to the page layout might reorder
fields and change those array subscripts, making development very messy.
Any suggestions?  I tried formName."order.program" but it gave out
Javascript errors.

I've already checked some Javascript 1.1 developer and reference guides from
Netscape and didn't find anything suggesting how to do it this way.

Thanks for any suggestions,
David