What you're looking for is a way to validate a form with multiple "pages". Read this, paying special attention to "Multi Page Forms" http://jakarta.apache.org/struts/userGuide/dev_validator.html

K.C.

Ruben Carvalho wrote:

Good afternoon helpers,

I've started a new application using struts 1.1 and I'm having some problems with some new concepts.

I want to use XML form validation (DynaValidatorForm) using validator-rules.xml and my validaton.xml. Right now my application is working fine. Now I want to use different validation rules for the same form, accross multiple JSPs. For example:

- TestForm is a DynaValidatorForm
 String name
 String address

- test1.jsp
 I want to show one text box to fill the "name" property:

(...)
(...)

- test2.jsp
 I want to show one text box to fill the "address" property:

(...)
(...)

- struts-config.xml
(...)
<form-beans>
   <form-bean name="testForm" type="org.apache.struts.validator.DynaValidatorForm">
     <form-property name="name" type="java.lang.String"/>
     <form-property name="address" type="java.lang.String"/>
   </form-bean>
</form-beans>
(...)

- validaton.xml
(...)
   <formset>
       <form name="logonForm">
           <field property="username" depends="required">
               <arg0   key="prompt.username"/>
           </field>
           <field property="address" depends="required">
               <arg0   key="prompt.address"/>
           </field>
       </form>
</formset>
(...)

Now, I run http://localhost/app/test1.jsp and I fill in my "name" property. Then I want my app to validate only the "name" property. Then I forward to test2.jsp, fill the "address" property and now I want to validate only the "address" property. How can I do this? The problem is, what identifies a rule in validation.xml is the form name. I could define different names for my form in the struts-config.xml but imagine if I had 10 JSPs for each form.

Thanks in advance

Rúben Carvalho