Try the latest MySQL driver (3.08). I had a similar problem recently
with a StackOverflowError that was solved by upgrading.

3.08 lists "infinite loop with Connection.cleanup()." as one of the
fixed bugs, which is what I suspect was causing the overflow problem.

You'll still have to contend with the MySQL connection which times out
after 8 hours, but you should be able to check for that and reconnect
if necessary or use the autoReconnect parameter
(http://www.mysql.com/documentation/connector-j/index.html)

Steve