We have some screens that allow users to edit some stuff stored in the db,
and some of this stuff includes such characters as " or \ or whatever, and
also some of them have xml tags as there contents.

When rendering such fields we are hitting some problems.
ie: if the value is something like:
my cats name is "snowflake"

we end up with:
<input name="fieldname" value="my cats name is ""snowflake""/>

...which of course is not very good.

Another one is textareas containing </textarea>!

Whats the technique for handling this nicely?
Obviously I need to escape these somehow. What do I need to consider?