Try this link

http://www.anassina.com/struts/i18n/i18n.html

and look item number 7.

The form data being submitted might not be being read as Shift_JIS or UTF-8 but instead the default ISO-8859-1 format.

You need to set the character encoding of the request before Struts puts the request parameters into your ActionForm. As suggested in the link above, a filter can be used to set the encoding.

Amit Rana wrote:

Hi,
        I am having exactly same problem as in this thread
i.e. Japanese in the form elements (textboxes) becomes garbage once form
is re-shown. I have this tiles/struts application Japanese from
properties or from form is displayed problem but when form is
re-displayed Japanese becomes garbage.

        I have tried putting all the combinations given in

Can anyone suggest what can be done to solve this problem?

Regards,
Amit.

Jason Lea