We are using Struts 1.1 in a WL 7.0 SP2 application, deployed as a .ear and everything
seems to be working fine.  The only difference between our app and your app that I can
identify so far is that we are deploying our web app inside the .ear as an expanded
directory versus as a .war file.

So, for example, our app is:

theEar.ear
  |-- META-INF
  |-- theEjb.jar
  |-- theWar
        |--WEB-INF
             |--lib
             |--classes

and our application.xml is:

<application>
  <display-name>webapp</display-name>
  <description>webapp</description>

  <module>
    <ejb>webapp.jar</ejb>
  </module>

  <module>
    <web>
      <web-uri>webapp</web-uri>
      <context-root>webapp</context-root>
    </web>
  </module>

It not supposed to make a difference, but perhaps expanding your web app would make a
difference?

Scott