Todd,

     I am uncertain if this piece of information will
be of any use to you -- when I first tried to setup
JavaMail, I followed the online instruction and put
the mail.jar and activation.jar in my
j2sdk1.4.1_02\jre\li\ext folder.  The JavaMail did not
work.  Thereafter, I got an advise from someone saying
that it was a class loader problem.  I then put the
location of the mail.jar and activation.jar explicitly
in the CLASSPATH.  It worked well.

-Caroline