On 10/10/2003 01:46 PM Michel Bertrand wrote:
Hi all !

I was woundering about using Struts in Tomcat with JDBC Realms.

I found lots of topics about Strunts and Realms but using policy files
and I did not find any question or topic involving struts and JDBC Reals.

Does struts support the use of JDBC Realms in Tomcat ? I don't intent
to use it to proctect my Actions, but to protect my "jsp" pages under
some specific app directories.

I tried to implement this running Tomcat in Security Mode but I have
some SecurityExceptions in some actions. Is it common ? Could I solve it setting priviledges to struts.jar in my catalina.policy ?

And so, does anybody implemented Struts + JDBC Realms + Tomcat ?

Yes, many people do! Using a tomcat realm for authentication with standard security-constraints is not normally problematic.

Setting up struts to make use of realm authorization (for roles) is child's play (as long as your database contains the roles & links to the users). Just put the "role" attribute in the action mapping in the config.

Where & when are you getting these exceptions? Also, policy files don't need to come into it at all. Doing anything with priviliges to struts.jar is something I've never heard of. I think you are coming to the subject with a mindset for a different type of authentication & authorization system - what you require from tomcat & struts is not too complex.

Adam

--
struts 1.1 + tomcat 5.0.12 + java 1.4.2
Linux 2.4.20 RH9