Hi Vivien,
 I think it depends on Struts version you are using. I use 1.1 and everything works
fine.
Your <message-resources/> config tells Struts to look for your resources at package
org.apache.struts.webapp.tiles.dev1-1. So, you should have, for instance, this:

  WEB-INF
    --

     |--- classes
            --

             |--- org/apache/struts/webapp/tiles/dev1-1
                              ----

                                | - ApplicationResources.properties

  If you are not using 1.1, please, upgrade to. If problem still happens, you know how
to find us.
  Hope it was useful.

Regards,
 Daniel.