The de facto official reference for these patterns is "Design Patterns", by Gamma, et.
al., the now famous "Gang of Four." This is the book that started all the madness back
in '97 or so; pretty much all other books on design patterns can be said to be
derivitives or enhancements on this original work.

One that I am in the process of reading right now is "Patterns of Enterprise
Application Architecture" by Martin Fowler. It has some solid patterns from a
J2EE/.NET (mostly J2EE) perspective, and is worth investigating after the GoF book has
been studied.

-= J