UTF-8

On 10/16/2003 07:25 PM ZYD wrote:
Now I use UTF-8 everywhere instead of gb2312, this problem is gone. Thanks for your help.

I have another problem, hope can get some advice from you:

I used the following url to connect to MySQL:
mysql.url=jdbc:mysql://localhost:3306/CoderPool?user=root&password=&useUnicode=true&characterEncoding=GB2312

use GB2312 in this string is not a good idea I think.

Then what should the "characterEncoding" be?

-bruce

----- Original Message ----- From: "Jason Lea" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Friday, October 17, 2003 11:34 AM
Subject: Re: i18n - Chinese charactor problem

If you are using UTF-8 everywhere it should work - I use it for english & Japanese and it works.
You mentioned in another message you had this:

<filter-class>SetCharacterEncodingFilter</filter-class>
<init-param>
<param-name>encoding</param-name>
<param-value>GB2312</param-value>

Are you still using that?  or UTF-8?
Everything has to match.

ZYD wrote:

Hi Jason,

Thank you for your response.

I did exactly the same thing as the article said, but still, not working properly.

Chinese can be displayed, but not in the text box.

If I change <%@ page contentType="text/html; charset=UTF-8" %> to
<%@ page contentType="text/html; charset=GBK" %> then the Chinese charactors are handled properly.

Why is that?

----- Original Message ----- From: "Jason Lea" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Friday, October 17, 2003 5:51 AM

Here is a link that explains what is needed and a filter to do it...

http://www.anassina.com/struts/i18n/i18n.html

Greg Reddin wrote:

I don't remember the exact code, but a looong time ago we had to write a Filter that created a request wrapper that properly set the character encoding on request parameters. Maybe googling that would turn up something.

Greg

ZYD wrote:

Hi,
I have a problem in getting the Chinese charactors from <html:text>,
The following is my jsp file:
<%@ page contentType="text/html;charset=UTF-8" language="java" %>
<%@ taglib uri="/WEB-INF/struts-html.tld" prefix="html" %>

<head></head>

I have two property files, one is for englisn, the other is for chinese. Both english and chinese can be displayed properly on the page, except in the text box.

When I input chinese charactors in the text box and submit, I cannot get the chinese charactor in the form bean correctly. The chinese charactors become some unreadable charactors like ????.

There are no special process in the getEmail and setEmail method in the form bean.

Does anybody have similar problem? I need your advice.
Any response is appreciated.

--
struts 1.1 + tomcat 5.0.12 + java 1.4.2
Linux 2.4.20 RH9