Scenario 1 works because the JSP parser understands it needs to parse
the tags.  However, Scenario 2 is simply returning text that will be
written to the response.  There is no way that I know of to force a
container to read dynamically-generated JSP without spitting it out into
a JSP file and including that JSP file or (BAD IDEA!!!) calling the JSPC
code from within your JSP/servlet.

If you want to get the dynamic results from the string, you can
instantiate instances of the tags that are actually doing the work, or
if possible, use runtime expressions in the parameters of the tags.
However, I'm not sure exactly what you're trying to accomplish by
returning JSP from a method so this may not be helpful at all.

-- Michael D. Norman
   ProbuSoft -- Custom Software Development
   http://www.probusoft.com/
   913-390-6951
   [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Is