        From: Ted Husted [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
        Sent: Fri 10/24/2003 4:07 PM
        To: Struts Users Mailing List
        Subject: Re: Can I get an answer?

        david Liles wrote:
        > I am using struts 1.1 and have a link on a page that makes a javascript call
to open a popup window and execute the requested action.

        > Below is the action mapping in the struts-config.xml file:
        >
        > <action path="/ReadMessage"
type="com.dynamichostings.mailclient.actions.MessageAction">

        > <forward name="read_message" path="/messages/read_message.jsp" />
        >
        > </action>
        >
        > It doesn't appear that the link on the jsp is calling the action mapping, I
have a System.out.println() in the action class..... any suggestions?

        My first suggestion is to be patient. You've posted the same question to
        the list three times in the same afternoon. It is not good netiquette.
        We all have only so many *volunteer* hours to give, please don't waste
        our limited resources.

        Second, I'd suggest viewing the HTML source to be sure the link renders
        correct.

        Third, I would try entering the URI directly,

           /yourApp/ReadMessage.do

        to see what happens.

        You might also try entering

           /yourApp/messages/read_message.jsp

        to see what happens then.

        Fourth, if you are just mapping the page flow, you can also do things like:

        <action path="/ReadMessage" forward="/messages/read_message.jsp" />

        and keep the Actions out of it until you're ready to add functionality.

        Fifth, I'd *strongly* suggest using a modern IDE like Eclipse or
        IntelliJ so you can step through the Actions rather than rely on logging
        statements. :)

        HTH, Ted.

        --
        Ted Husted,