I wrote an implementation of the "Active Authentication" idea introduced
in Java Developers Journal. I like it much better than Security Filter.
It allows me to use the TRUE container's standard authentication. Also,
I get ALL the features that SecurityFilter provides and ALL the features
of container based security. If you would like the code, I would be
happy to share it. Also, I'd be happy to upload it to the struts
sourceforge site. It is definetly something other people can use and is
not specific to my apps. It is only specific to Struts. But, writing
implementations for other Web MVC (Model 2) frameworks would be a snap.

Brandon Goodin