I also think you need to check that the struts.jar is in your WEB-INF directory...

On 11/11/2003 01:27 AM Yee, Richard K,,DMDCWEST wrote:
Richard,
Try using forward slashes in your docbase instead of '\'
docBase="E:/Projects/HelloWorld" />

Java might otherwise interpret it as an escape char.

-Richard

-----Original Message-----
From: Richard Morris [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Sent: Monday, November 10, 2003 4:03 PM
Subject: Re: Hello World gone wrong

Hi Adam,

The HelloWorldMessageResources.properties file is where you have stated.  I
also tried your comment style in the properties file as well as removing all
comments and it didn't change anything.  I have also removed the application
init-param from the web.xml file.

As for the webapp DTD version, you are right about that.  I had the wrong
DTD in there and so modified it.  Here are the DTDs I am using for both the
web.xml and struts-config.xml files:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE web-app PUBLIC "-//Sun Microsystems, Inc.//DTD Web Application
2.3//EN"
                         "http://java.sun.com/j2ee/dtds/web-app_2_3.dtd";>

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE struts-config PUBLIC "-//Apache Software Foundation//DTD Struts
Configuration 1.1//EN"

"http://jakarta.apache.org/struts/dtds/struts-config_1_1.dtd";>

As for the versions of tomcat and struts, I am using struts 1.1 (the one
currently available for download from their web site).  As for the tomcat
versions, I have tried to run them under the following configurations:

   Tomcat Version: Apache Tomcat/4.1.29
   JVM Version: 1.4.2_02-b03
   JVM Vendor: Sun Microsystems Inc.
   OS Name: Windows XP (Pro)
   OS Version: 5.1
   OS Architecture: x86
and
   Tomcat Version: Apache Tomcat/4.1.27
   JVM Version: 1.4.2_01-b06
   JVM Vendor: Sun Microsystems Inc.
   OS Name: Linux (Red Hat 9)
   OS Version: 2.4.20-8smp
   OS Architecture: i386

You are right about it being a simple app.  I started with just a JSP page
with plain html, then I added the html taglib.  Everything worked fine but
when I tried to use the bean taglib to use resource bundles, that's when I
got this error.

Would there be any changes that I would need to make to the tomcat
server.xml configuration file to get this to work?  I am just using the
default configuration file with the added <Context path="/HelloWorld"
reloadable="true" docBase="E:\Projects\HelloWorld" />.

Anyway, thanks for whatever help you can send my way.

Richard Morris
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

----- Original Message ----- From: "Adam Hardy" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Monday, November 10, 2003 2:01 PM

Hi Richard, you don't need to package it. I have never packaged a resources file or put it in a jar seperately. According to your config, it's in the right place, something like

e:\projects\helloworld\WEB-INF\classes\HelloWorldMessageResources.properties

right? The error must lie elsewhere.

I can't see why. Your app is so simple, it's got to be a gotcha.

Perhaps the comments in the file are not allowed - I always use
/* comment */

Also, that action servlet parameter 'application' is deprecated, I think.

You could put this in the struts-config message-resources node:

factory="org.apache.struts.util.PropertyMessageResourcesFactory"

BTW what version of struts and tomcat are you using? I see you've got a reference to the webapp_2.2 dtd in your web.xml. I don't suppose you can upgrade to at least have a servlet 2.3 container?

Adam