From: Max Cooper [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Tue 11/11/2003 7:13 AM
To: Struts Users Mailing List
Subject: Re: Servlet filter and Struts

That approach breaks the "page-level addressibility" advantage that building
web apps generally affords, however. The breakage is that the user won't be
sent back to the page they requested after they login.

Container-managed security offers robust and time-tested security for your
Actions/pages, and also redirects users back to the page they wanted after
they login. Everyone that is considering rolling their own security system
would do well to investigate the J2EE standard first. The Servlet spec has
all the details, but it might be better to find a tutorial-style
introduction. It really isn't very complicated. In most cases, it provides
all the functionality you need and want, and is generally both more secure
and easier to implement than a custom solution. Using the standard system
also allows you to make use of security features in the Struts framework and
other libraries, too.

There are a few things that I found lacking in container-managed security,
so I wrote a filter-based clone of it with a few enhancements. You can find
it here: http://www.securityfilter.org/. The main enhancement is that a
"default page" can be specified as the place to send users to if they
"spontaneously" login. This allows users to bookmark the login page, and/or
allows app developers to put a login form on every page in the site. It also
moves the realm configuration details into the web app, rather than
requiring realm configuration at the server level. There are more exciting
features, such as persistent logins, coming in a future release.

-Max