"I remember in the pre-Struts days of someone on the JSP Interest
mailing list
talking about the fact that they had a 5000 line JSP page that
implemented the
entire app (complete with creating different forms and processing the
results)
-- all in a single page.  And he was *proud* of it!"

Doesn't he still post to this list under the alias Vic C.?

Quoting Christian Bollmeyer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

> Am Mittwoch, 12. November 2003 21:31 schrieb Craig R. McClanahan:
> > Quoting Larry Meadors <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
> > > Why would you ever do this? This looks like a complete and total
> > > kludge.
> > >
> > > If you are sending back binary data (application/pdf), just do
it
> > > from the action class using the response.getOutputStream() and
> > > return null from the execute method.
> > >
> > > Advantages:
> > >  - you already have everything you need right there
> > >  - you eliminate the entry in struts-config
> > >  - you eliminate a useless jsp
> > >  - you can specify any content type (not just one per jsp)
> > >  - you get better exception handling
> > >  - the list could go on and on...
> >
> > There's actually a much more fundamental reason than all of the
above
> > (which are true nonetheless) -- JSP pages are not allowed to
create
> > binary output.  They never call response.getOutputStream().
>
> That's how it's meant to be, and JSPs themselves don't, but you
> can always shed in a scriptlet to make them behave otherwise.

You might get lucky on some containers, but you can be assured that
writing
binary output from a scriptlet is not guaranteed to be portable.
Indeed,
you're more likely to cause an IllegalStateException, because the
servlet
container won't let you call getWriter() and getOutputStream() on the
same
response.

>  I've seen people doing just ridiculous things with JSPs, some
> of them routinely putting a <% at the top and a %> at the end,
> and then went on happily putting everything imaginable in-bet-
> ween, usually with lengthy <%@ page import="[xy]" %> state-
> ments on top. Won't support Mark Galbreath on this matter,
> so if there may be a grain of truth in his direction, I'm still
> just telling from my personal experiences, limited to a
> single case, thankfully. But never underestimate human
> ingenuity ;-)

s/ingenuity/foolishness/

:-)

I remember in the pre-Struts days of someone on the JSP Interest
mailing list
talking about the fact that they had a 5000 line JSP page that
implemented the
entire app (complete with creating different forms and processing the
results)
-- all in a single page.  And he was *proud* of it!

> > > Larry
> >
> > Craig
>
> -- Chris.

Craig