So your end user has to select 1 of 1800 options 8 times on one page?

I've never had trouble with options but then again i've never smoked enough crack to think select menus with 1800 options would be a good thing.

As a test you could use model 1 jsp or/and jstl to compare.,

<c:forEach var="item" items="myList">
        <c:out value="${item.name}" />
</c:forEach>

I wouldn't be surprised if you container bails like this also, cant you add another step to reduce the list like an alphabet menu of something? Have another drop down with a-z and regenerate the menu when the user selects a letter.

Cheers Mark