Wendy,

Thanks for your mail. I don't know if you fully
understood where I'm coming from! As I said, the
database connection is accessed from a Data Access
class (read model), which is called from my
DispatchAction class. Since the exception is not
caught in my DispatchAction class (the methods throw
Exception), it is propagated to my JSP's. It doesn't
mean my JSP's directly access the database!

Anyway, thanks for your help.

Shyam

--- Wendy Smoak <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > I have a Database servlet configured in web.xml,
> which
> > intialises a connection pool on Server startup.
> > However, if the data source is unavailable, I get
> > "Null Pointer" exception on my JSPs, which is
> > propagated from my Data Access class.
>
> IMO, the problem is that you're accessing the
> database from the JSP.
> And this, in a Struts webapp?!  The view has no
> business talking to the
> model.
>
> If you move the data access to the Action, then you
> can catch the error
> and gracefully forward to an error page.
>
> Meanwhile, you can define error pages in web.xml so
> that your users
> don't see the stack trace.  For example, I have
> this:
>    <error-page>

<exception-type>javax.servlet.ServletException</exception-type>

<location>/WEB-INF/jsp/exceptionServlet.jsp</location>