> Using either customized Java code or regular expressions, a
> developer can ensure that any incoming form data is legal and valid.
> This is a tremendous help to any developer as it prevents bad
> data from being processed by their Action and, many times,
> causing the user to see annoying 500 errors.

I'm not sure why any Action would bomb out from invalid data.
If that happens, IMO, you're putting too much logic in your Action.

IMO, data validation belongs at the BO level. No matter where your data
comes from, your BO should decide for itself whether or not it's valid
before it tries to process it. It shouldn't just assume that it will get
valid data.

For this reason, in one project I completed, we ignored client-side
validation nearly completely, and instead relied on server-side validation
coming from the BO's themselves. This way, no matter what screen tried to do
what operation, correct error messages would be given back to the user and
the screen would re-paint.

This was a lot easier and more logical to me than having each screen (which
is simply a view to data) know exactly what kind of data is valid for what
it is displaying.

Doing it at the BO level, if there is a change in one validation, it gets
changed in one place, no matter how many screens can updated that piece of
data. Much easier, IMO.

So, I'd like the Validator framework to work at the BO level and the
javascript/screen level, and skip the Action level altogether. I prefer my
Actions to be really, really stupid - traffic-controllers only, not data
handlers.

Matt Kruse