Good morning..

I'm running a little Struts Application on Tomcat 4.1.27 and occassionly the
application won't start because of problems connecting to the database.

Is there someway I can I can avoid having this stop my app from running and
just catch the error deal with it in the application (like by telling the
user "we are technical difficulties, please try again later")?

Here's the portion of the Tomcat log that shows the error:

2003-11-21 10:28:11 StandardWrapper[/DB2StrutsDemo:action]: Marking servlet
action as unavailable
2003-11-21 10:28:11 StandardContext[/DB2StrutsDemo]: Servlet /DB2StrutsDemo
threw load() exception
javax.servlet.UnavailableException: Initializing application data source
org.apache.struts.action.DATA_SOURCE

Googling reveals a lot of people have this problem, and there's a lot of
help on solving it.  But what if you can't solve it and you just want to
deal with it?

And I guess the corollary to all this is whether there's some way to
"re-start" the datasources later?  Just by calling
DataSource.getConnection()?

Schultz.