i'am sorry for that i can't reply you as soon as possible. because at that
time, i was so tired, you see, i work for Struts for a long time a day,,  i
have many question about struts, and i can get help from others here, i was
so happy, because i am SOHO'er .. :) i can work in my home...now ,i am using
Struts framework to develop my homepage, i also use tiles...

i belived tiles has more convinience ...

before i used struts and tiles, i read much more tutorials, and have a
favourite of all about struts and tiles. and download more PDF tutorial, i
have learned struts for 2 week, it's powerful..i think.

first, if you have a definition in your tiles-config.xml , you don't insert
any other definition in JSP page and include it(the same definition as in
you tiles-congig.xml) ,you only defined in xml file, and in you layout page,
just like this:

layout.jsp
<tiles:insert name="xxx" />
<tiles:insert name="xxxx" />

and the page will be displayed named index.jsp , you need to insert ...
<tiles:insert definition="xx" />

the xx means the definition name in you tiles-config.xml. and the definition
can be extends to other definition and you can use ignore=true to insert
more page....any other function you can see the document about tiles, if you
have some tutorial about tiles and struts, i will send you all my favourits
to you.

hope for help you.....     :)

i am also a newbie in struts, i also need help for others here, we can help
each other . :)