If you define double submissions as the user clicking submit twice, then no,
redirect doesn't save you from that.  You should use transactional tokens
(assuming your app design/specs allow you to).

If your mappings are like this:

<action path="/displayItem" type="MyDisplayAction">
    <forward name="success" path="displayItem.jsp"/>
</action>
<action path="/submitToThisAction" type="MyProcessingAction"
    input="..." name="...">
    <forward name="success" path="displayItem.jsp"/>
</action>

then when the form gets submitted, the URL on the browser remains
"/submitToThisAction.do" and the resulting page is the one which should not be
bookmarked.  Also, this is the case where the controller gets bypassed because
whatever code MyDisplayAction needs to run before showing "displayItem.jsp"
doesn't get executed.

If the user refreshes this page, the form gets resubmitted.  If you use
transactional tokens, your "MyProcessingAction" will know to ignore that request,
but it still gets triggered, and "MyDisplayAction" still gets skipped.

If you change the <forward> to this:

<action path="/submitToThisAction" type="MyProcessingAction" input="..."
name="...">
    <forward name="success" path="displayItem.do" redirect="true"/>
</action>

then the browser will send a separate HTTP request for "displayItem.do" which
calls the correct controller and displays your data.
If the user refreshes the resulting page, "MyProcesssingAction" gets skipped
entirely.

Transaction tokens and using redirect solve different problems.  Using one does
not fully help you solve the issues solved by the other.

hth,
Hubert