On 12/04/2003 07:11 PM Mike Erickson wrote:
I'm using Jboss 3.2, Tomcat 4.1 and Struts 1.1 (including Tiles) and am
unable to set the encoding to utf-8.
I've tried the following:
1) set the contenttype within the controller configuration in
struts-config.xml
    contentType="text/html;charset=UTF-8"
2) set response header in Action class
    lResponse.setContentType("text/html; charset=UTF-8");
3) set page directive within jsp (in the tile layout file)
    <%@ page contentType="text/html;charset=UTF-8"  pageEncoding="utf-8" %>
4) set response header within jsp  (in the tile layout file)
    <% response.setContentType("text/html;charset=UTF-8"); %>

Every time the encoding is iso-8859-1. The generated _jsp.java file contains
the line
      response.setContentType("text/html;charset=ISO-8859-1");
and I've sniffed the request to confirm the headers. I can create a plain
servlet and set the contenttype to utf-8 without any problems.

Any suggestions? Anyone get tiles to return utf-8? I shouldn't have to use a
filter to fix this..

Try putting the page contenttype declaration as the first line in every tile. It has to be done before any output is sent to response.

Adam
--
struts 1.1 + tomcat 5.0.16 + java 1.4.2
Linux 2.4.20 Debian