From: Gus Heck [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Thursday, December 11, 2003 4:38 PM
To: Struts Users Mailing List
Subject: Re: Can large upload cause tomcat hanging?

Lukas,

The reasons cross posts get annoying to me (and I presume others) are
these: 1.) I can't know what responses are posted on the other list
without joining it. 2.)if I am on both lists it messes with my message
filtering rules on my mail reader and usually both copies wind up in the
same folder and it gets hard to tell which list I am replying to unless
I reply all and cross post as well. 3.) When searching Archives for
answers to questions before posting, it is most unhelpful if half the
conversation is archived under another list. 4.) cross posting to N
lists creates N times the mail load for the servers, the archives, and
any other systems involved, and for people subscribed to M out of N
lists invovled in the cross post it creates M times the list mail to
deal with.

The only time it seems reasonable to cross post, is when in discussing a
feature/bug in one product it seems like it may be traced back to a
problem in a dependant library, and you want the folks on the dev list
of the library to look into it... (as happened to me recently in the
case of a problem implementing a solution to a problem discussed on this
list that exposed a bug in commons-betwixt) Even then, it might still be
better to craft a separate mail with a link to the archive of the
discussion, though cross posting in this case does have the advantage of
supplying the preceeding discussion (assuming it hasn't been deleted
from the replies) without the day delay for the archive to pick it up.

-Gus

Lukas Bradley wrote:

Understood, but this is a Jakarta rule, not a standard Internet rule.

You cross-posted to at least two Jakarta mailing lists. The

rule applies.

I cross posted nothing.  Zsolt did.   I was just wondering why people are
extremely sensitive about what I consider to be valid cross posts.

Lukas