Barett,

> 1) keep the ActionErrors as a request attribute
> 2) set the validate parameter to false for the ActionMapping
> 3) add code like the following to the search action itself:
> errs = form.validate();
> if (!errs.isEmpty()) {
>   saveErrors(errs);
>   return mapping.getInput();
> }

This seems like forcing a flow that's supposed to be the framework's
supposed to deliver... but clearly it's very similar to what the
RequestProcessor already does, so it sounds like an acceptable
compromise.

> A note: this solution will forward to your input page, not redirect. I'm not
> entirely sure from your message on why you'd like to redirect to the input.
> It sounds like you're not set on it, so maybe a forward like the above will
> do.

If the user's URL reads /gui.do when she first enters her search data,
and validation fails, then I believe the URL should still read /gui.do
for the second attempt, rather than /executesearch.do or whatnot.

That does require a redirect, right?

Anyway, your solution should work equally well while storing the errors
in the session context. Many thanks!

Zell