OK, I found the problem and in the process learned something I DID NOT
want to know.

The mistake I made was a typo - the class is
com.glsi.share.ApplicationInitialize and I typed
com.glsi.share.ApplicationInitialze.

It makes perfectly good sense that when Tomcat went to load the class, I
should have seen class not found or some such.  However, it is REALLY
ugly that the whole <servlet>...</servlet> entry in web.xml was just
ignored.

I have debug on.  Is there another setting that I should have on?

Someone please tell me that this is NOTexpected behavior?  Should I be
posting this to Tomcat?

Les