You should be able to do this with standard J2EE security provided
by your web container.

If you store your user credentials in a database, then you may want
to look at SecurityFilter:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/securityfilter/

It allows you to leverage standard J2EE security features but provides
more flexible authentication.

robert