I modified the ActionServlet (might not be necessary - need to investigate the dynamic
module config stuff further), created a new TilesDefinitionFactory and changed a few
other bits and made tiles extract all of its definitions from a database. I also
implemented a cache mechanism as a Java servlet so that database access was minimal.

This was all because I need a site that was truly dynamic, whilst running on a cluster
of servers.

Paul
Global Equity Derivatives Technology
Deutsche Bank [/]
Office  +44 (0)20 754 55458
Mobile +44 (0)7736 299483
Fax      +44 (0)20 7547 2752

                      Brice Ruth

                      <[EMAIL PROTECTED]        To:       Struts Users Mailing List
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

                      m>                       cc:

                                               Subject:  Re: [Tiles] Populating Tiles
definition attribute at runtime

                      29/12/2003 19:20

                      Please respond to

                      "Struts Users

                      Mailing List"

Wow, that's pretty cool ... I'll have to check out the controllerClass
stuff sometime :)

Domingo A. Rodriguez S. wrote:

>Hi Robert..
>
>I guess you could achieve the same using the controllerClass attribute and
>building your class.. For instance, I have this definition in the
>tiles-defs.xml file:
>---
>   <definition name=".layout"
>               path="/common/layout.jsp"
>    controllerClass='com.dars.XTileAction'>
>     <put name="title"       value="Encabezado primario"/>
>     <put name="leftside"    value="/common/leftside.jsp"/>
>     <put name="rightside"   value="/common/rightside.jsp"/>
>     <put name="header"      value="/common/header.jsp"/>
>     <put name="footer"      value="/common/footer.jsp"/>
>     <put name="body"        value="/common/body.jsp"/>
>   </definition>
>---
>  And I have this controllerClass
>---
>package com.dars;
>import org.apache.struts.tiles.actions.TilesAction;
>import org.apache.struts.tiles.ComponentContext;
>import org.apache.struts.tiles.Controller;
>import javax.servlet.http.HttpServletRequest;
>import javax.servlet.http.HttpServletResponse;
>import javax.servlet.ServletContext;
>import javax.servlet.ServletException;
>import java.io.IOException;
>
>public class XTileAction extends TilesAction implements Controller{>    public void
>perform(ComponentContext tilesctx,
>                        HttpServletRequest request,
>                        HttpServletResponse response,
>                        ServletContext servctx)
>                        throws ServletException, IOException{> /* GetAttributes */
>             String titulo= (String)tilesctx.getAttribute("title");
>             String derecha= (String)tilesctx.getAttribute("rightside");
> /* GetAttributes */
>             System.out.println("  Titulo: "+titulo);
>             System.out.println(" Derecha: "+derecha);
> /* SetAttributes */
>           tilesctx.putAttribute("title", "Titulo nuevo de esta vaina..");
>           tilesctx.putAttribute("rightside", "/common/footer.jsp");
> /* SetAttributes */
>    }
>}
>---
>You can change the values of those attributes at runtime. I prefer to do
>it using this method.
>
>Atte.
>Domingo A. Rodriguez S.
>

> --- Robert Taylor <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> escribió: > Greetings, I have a
>tiles definition in my tiles-defs.xml similar to
>

>>below:
>>
>> <definition name="search" extends="layout">
>>    <put name="heading" value="{0}Search" type="string" />
>>    <put name="content" value="/search.jsp" type="page" />
>>  </definition>
>>
>>which I would like to be able to modify the "heading" value such that
>>at runtime I could substitute a value for {0}.
>>
>>For example, it would be ideal to use a JSTL type of syntax such as:
>>
>><definition name="search" extends="layout">
>>    <put name="heading" value="${param.myValue}Search" type="string" />
>>    <put name="content" value="/search.jsp" type="page" />
> [...]

Brice D. Ruth
Sr. IT Analyst
Fiskars Brands, Inc.

This e-mail may contain confidential and/or privileged information. If you are not the
intended recipient (or have received this e-mail in error) please notify the sender
immediately and destroy this e-mail. Any unauthorized copying, disclosure or