Assuming you are using Struts to process the form submission,
once the user selects a value from the drop down list and submits
the form to be processed, the action which you have configured to
handle this form submission, will have access to the selected value
via the form configured to store the posted request information.
Once inside your action you would do something like the following:

MyForm myForm = (MyForm) form;
String sName = myForm.getSname();
// update database with sName value

robert