This may be considered a workaround instead of a fix to the problem but have you considered writing another get property for your dtIniRealProjecto value that returns the formatted value?

Something like:
private java.util.Date date = null;

public java.util.Date getDate() {
return this.date;
}
//Also create a pre-formatted String of the Date Object
public String getFormattedDate() {
java.text.SimpleDateFormat formatter = new java.text.SimpleDateFormat("MM/dd/yyyy hh:mm:ss");
return formatter.format(getDate());
}

Giovani Salvador wrote:

Donīt worry Hubert....well, i will try explain more detailed....

I have a jsp page with the following tag

size="10" />

Ok, the attribute "name" means that my object has the name "projeto". Itīs a
DTO that an action class
put in the request.
Well, the html:text will render an input text catching the value from the
"dtIniRealProjeto" attribute of my object
"project". But this attribute is of Calendar type. Then, what appear in the
browser is the instance representation of
this calendar, no the date values. So i want to format this values before
presentation and make the html:text show
the formatted data.

Thatīs the problem, one solution could be using the action form but if i
have a DTO with the values, why must i have to
copy all values back to Action Form? Donīt you thin this is time-consuming,
cpu-consuming, memory-consuming?

I think the major question is:
How can i use the html:text to get value from an object (DTO or Action Form)
and FORMAT it????

I have seen in the archives many questions and no real answer.

Thanks

Giovani Salvador

----- Original Message ----- From: "Hubert Rabago" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Thursday, January 08, 2004 4:27 PM
Subject: Re: html:text and converter

Yes, that last msg wasn't much help. Maybe if you provide a bigger

picture of

the situation, other folks can give you alternatives. Or at least help

convince

you of the advantages to using AFs.

--- Hubert Rabago <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Perhaps it's time to consider using AFs. :)

--- Giovani Salvador <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

The problem is that i am not showing the data with the action form. I

use

the html:text to read
directly from my DTO and, unfortunatly, no conversion is made.  :(

Sent: Thursday, January 08, 2004 3:14 PM

You'll have to format the data that you're passing to your

ActionForm. If

you're

extending from ActionForm (but not using a Dyna form), perhaps you

can

format the

data in your setField() method, or before returning from a

getField()

method.

--- Giovani Salvador <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Hi all...

Is there a way to force that html:text call a converter? My

problem is

that i

am trying to format
a date before showing it with html:text tag and a possible way is

pass by

the StringConverter class,
for example. By debugging the jakarta commons beans i perceveid

that

this call

is not made. Any tip
on how to force passing by the StringConverter?

Thanks.

Giovani Salvador