From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Monday, January 12, 2004 11:07 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Best Practice for Reuse of JSPs for Display and Input?

I am designing a Struts application that has both display-only and input

modes for all the data. Ideally, I would like to reuse the same JSPs for
both
the display-only and input modes without compromising the
user-friendliness of
the page produced. The JSP pages are using the Struts HTML tags for data
input.
This sounds like a common issue that lots of applications must face and
I would
be very interested in what solutions other people are using

Possible design approaches I have currently in mind: -

1. Reusable JSPs could be built around the Struts HTML tags setting the
"disabled" attribute for the display-only mode. This should work but the
user
gets greyed out text (on Internet Explorer) which is hard to read and
the
display-only mode still has input boxes which can confuse the end user
2. The "readonly" attribute is another possibility but seems to be
ignored by some browsers (Netscape Communicator 4.76) 3. Maybe JSP
custom tags could be used but I am concerned that a full solution for
this would be to extend the HTML Text tag and the nested HTML Text tag

Thoughts on the above approaches and/or alternatives would be
appreciated

Tim.

Visit our website at http://www.ubs.com

the individual named.  If you are not the named addressee you should not
disseminate, distribute or copy this e-mail.  Please notify the sender
delete this e-mail from your system.

E-mail transmission cannot be guaranteed to be secure or error-free as
information could be intercepted, corrupted, lost, destroyed, arrive
late or incomplete, or contain viruses.  The sender therefore does not
message which arise as a result of e-mail transmission.  If verification
is required please request a hard-copy version.  This message is
provided for informational purposes and should not be construed as a
solicitation or offer to buy or sell any securities or related financial
instruments.