You can't directly access static fields with JSTL's expression language. Of
course, you can do it with the RT versions of the tags:

<c_rt:set var="priorityArray" value="<%= BrowseTasks.priorityTooltip %>"/>

But that's probably not what you're after. The Jakarta Taglibs Sandbox contains
the Unstandard Tag Library which may be of interest. You can do something like:

<un:bind var="priorityArray"
         type="cv.servlet.bugs.BrowseTasks"
         field="priorityTooltip"/>

There have been other approaches outlined on the list before for this sort of
thing (like converting public static fields into a map and storing it in
application scope), so you may want to search the archives.

D.O.Tech       <http://www.dotech.com/>