You'll probably want an action that gets the image and then streams it to the html:img tag or c:url

This way you wont be confined to the webapp.

e.g

response.setContentType("image/jpeg");
response.setHeader("Cache-Control", "no-cache");

OutputStream ou = response.getOutputStream();

String imageStr = "/path to image";
java.net.URI imgUri = new java.net.URI(imageStr);
File imageFile = new File(imgUri);
RandomAccessFile raf = new RandomAccessFile( imageFile, "r" );
FileInputStream imageFileStream = new FileInputStream(imageFile);
byte[] image = new byte[(int) imageFile.length()];

while ( (raf.read( image )) > 0 ){
                ou.write( image );
}

ou.flush();
ou.close();
return null;

map the action

<action path="/image" type="com.sparrow.struts.ImageAction" />