if you are using jdk 1.4 then why don't you switch over to JDK logging? No
configuration issues here as you might face with log4j.

Well it's just a suggestion, as i myself use JDK logging in some projects
and log4j in some.

btw, in struts 1.1, i don't think debug param plays any role.

regards
Navjot Singh