Dirk,
I used that on my last project. In my resource bundle I had the following:

errors.header=<script language='javascript'>alert( errors.footer='');</script>

general.validate.date='A Date if given must be a valid Date in the format {0}!\\n' +

Note the apostrophes and the plus sign, so that a whole series of error messages would pop up only in one alert.

This was with <html:errors/>, that take the header and footer from the bundle. I'm not sure how you would adapt it to <html:messages>, but good luck!

HTH
Adam