I don't have the code with me right now, but I learned to solve this with the
sample code from:
http://www.developer.com/java/other/article.php/2233591

On your <html:text>, you need to use the name and property attributes, and
set indexed=true.

This is an excerpt from the article.
<c:forEach var="lines" items="${purchaseOrderBeanForm.map.lines}" >
  <TR><TD><html:text indexed="true" name="lines" property="partNumber"/></TD>
  <TD><html:text indexed="true" name="lines" property="quantity"/></TD>
  <TD><html:text indexed="true" name="lines" property="price"/></TD></TR>
</c:forEach>

You can also look at the <nested> tags and the tutorials from
keyboardmonkey.com.