Struts v1.1

We are currently using Struts and Tiles and have a dynamic navigation menu
with 2-3 nested levels for each top-level menu item (over 100 total menu
items). Currently, we are generating links with the action mapping and
then appending menu parameters to the url to determine what level in the
menu hierarchy the user is requesting. The parameters that are passed in
the URL are then read in scriptlet code in the navigation menu tile to
display the appropriate menu item. Struts Action mappings are pointed to
Tiles definitions.

The problems with this approach include:
1) All URLs are defined in the ApplicationResources.properties file (e.g.,
menu.itemA=actionMapping.do?top=topMenuItem&sub1=subMenu1&sub2=subMenu2).
2) 3-4 parameters passed in the URL for every request to determine
navigational hierarchy.
3) A great deal of scriptlet code in the navigation menu tile.

I have searched the archive list, Google, and looked at Struts Menu at
sf.net and nothing seems to jump out at me. This is my first J2EE project
and first Struts/Tiles project, so I may have missed (not comprehended)
some things when searching.

In my relative inexperience, it would seem that the menu items would be
better defined in XML (instead of ApplicationResources), although the link
label would need to still be in ApplicationResources for i18n, perhaps
just a single key could be passed in the URL, and replace scriptlet code
with a tag (custom?). Can any one offer me some insights or point me to
some resources that can help me?

Thanks much!

Zach

The information contained in this communication (including any attachments hereto) is
confidential and is intended solely for the personal and confidential use of the
individual or entity to whom it is addressed.  The information may also constitute a
legally privileged confidential communication.  If the reader of this message is not
the intended recipient or an agent responsible for delivering it to the intended
recipient, you are hereby notified that you have received this communication in error
and that any review, dissemination, copying, or unauthorized use of this information,
strictly prohibited.  If you have received this communication in error, please notify
us immediately by e-mail, and delete the original message.  Thank you