James,

In your validation configuration file you have not set the date pattern
variable - there are two forms of it - datePattern and datePatternStrict.

     <formset>

       <form name="ActivityViewForm">
         <field
            property="starting"
            depends="date">
           <arg0 key="ActivityViewForm.starting.displayname"/>
           <var>
                <var-name>datePattern</var-name>
                <var-value>dd/MM/yyyy</var-value>
            </var>
         </field>
         <field
            property="ending"
            depends="date">
           <arg0 key="ActivityViewForm.ending.displayname"/>
           <var>
                <var-name>datePattern</var-name>
                <var-value>dd/MM/yyyy</var-value>
            </var>