Hi,

I'm looking for the best way to handle big search results.

Setting: the user can search for other users in the ldap directory. This might return a long list of results (~40.000 entrys). Sadly, OpenLDAP doesn't support server-side sorting, so I have to sort the results myself. I want to display 20 items per page, and the user can browse through these results.

What is the best way to handle these result object? Sorting once and storing/caching it in the session or searching and sorting every time the user requests a new page of results?

Any thoughts/experiences?

Regards,
Arne Brutschy