Vic,

Yes, I do get a "deadly embrace" or deadlock, as the
row locks on the table multiply when they occur,
holding up connections in the connection pool,
eventually consuming all connections, and then all
hell breaks loose.

Were you referring to synchronizing with semaphores?

I read somewhere that the Oracle database is supposed
to handle deadlocks by rolling back one of the
affected transactions. But the row locks seem to occur
intermittently, possibly when there are large numbers
of concurrent users.

I cannot avoid the transaction as the database updates
have to be done as one unit. An alternative that comes
to mind is using a stored procedure for the update
operations. Anyway, I need to do some research on
passing Java objects to stored procedures.

Thanks,
Shyam