Andy,
iBatis has the queryForPaginatedList() to handle this
situation. Check the iBatis documentation.

queryForPaginatedList(): This very useful method
returns a list that can manage a subset of data that
can be navigated forward and back. This is commonly
used in implementing user interfaces that only display
a subset of all of the available records returned from
a query. An example familiar to most would be a web
search engine that finds 10,000 hits, but only
displays 100 at a time. The PaginatedList interface
includes methods for navigating through pages
(nextPage(), previousPage(), gotoPage()) and also
checking the
status of the page (isFirstPage(), isMiddlePage(),
isLastPage(), isNextPageAvailable(),
isPreviousPageAvailable(), getPageIndex(),
getPageSize()). Although the total number of records
available
is not accessible from the PaginatedList interface,
this should be easily accomplished by simply executing
a second statement that counts the expected results.
Too much overhead would be associated with the
PaginatedList otherwise.

Regards,

Richard