On 12/26/2013 07:32 PM, Dirk Hohndel wrote:
What's the significance of the ~/subsurface directory?

The only thing I know for sure is that it contains the "diver.xml"
file which is used for saving dives by subsurface (for the user named
"diver").

Are you running different binaries in these two scenarios?

No, the tests I did after your last email and before my last reply
were all done using
[diver@computer ~]$ ~/bin/subsurface --version
Subsurface v4.0-64-gd42cc5a40c41, built with libdivecomputer v0.5.0-devel
(c5249861758305cff525a02e0a243f65b0750862)

Your configuration on a Linux system is stored in
~/.config/Subsurface/Subsurface.conf

Will try to move that file away next time I can test to make sure
it's not keeping a state that makes a difference for reproduction.

Is your default data file in ~/subsurface ?

Yes.

Is it possible that there are new dives on the dive computer, i.e. that
all your dives are already downloaded if you have your ~/subsurface
directory in its usual place?

I never used my "usual" user account for all those video-related
subsurface runs, that user named "diver" should have started without
any dives (especially after moving away ~/subsurface).

Is there a place besides the .xml file where a state regarding
"when was the last dive?" is being stored? Does libdc store some
state of its own?

I also tried imports with "force download of all dives" checked,
and that did not help when the import yielded no entries.

Another exit, another restart then import, and the import
worked again.

Wait - so even if you remove the ~/subsurface directory, on the second
attempt it works?

Yes, and that confuses me, too.
I wonder whether I am fooled by effects of a small statistic sample -
but whenever an import failed, it failed every time until I exited
subsurface. And whenever it worked, it kept working (at least)
until I exited subsurface. And in no case there was any kind of
error message.

So my only way for reproduction currently is to start without
an existing ~/subsurface directory.

I'm mildly confused about the exact steps when it does or does not work.
Sorry to make you repeat yourself, but understanding what triggers this
might help track it down...

I'm just as confused, maybe we have to postpone the analysis until I
do not need to record further video, because mixing runs to reproduce
this issue and runs to record some video might add to the confusion.

If there is additional debug output I could enable (besides the two
libdc dump options already used) please let me know.

Regards,

Lutz Vieweg